Monday, March 5, 2018

Be Yourself



Today I'm showcasing one of the new March Release stamp sets called Amazing You - Paisley Elephant from Sparkle N Sprinkle.

SNS is starting something new this month, beginning today.  Instead of a traditional blog hop, the designers will begin showcasing the new sets on the 5th of each month and a winner of a $20 gift certificate to SNS will be chosen at the end of each month.  The winner will be chosen from comments left on both the SNS Blog and a Mystery Designer's blog.



Although this isn't my normal style, it was fun creating this mixed media card.  I started out by applying various Distress Oxides to white cardstock and then spritzing it with water.  After this dried, I used my Tim Holtz Stamp Platform and a Nuvo Hybrid Ink Pad (Black Shadow) to stamp my image onto my colored background.  Immediately after stamping the image, I covered it with Clear Detail embossing powder and heat set it.


The smallest die from the Swirling Frame die set was used for the sentiment.  I used the same process (Distress Oxides, Stamp Platform, Nuvo Hybrid Ink, Clear Detail) as above to create this tag.  This is pop dotted on top of the card base for a bit of dimension.

After die cutting the next layer using the Sizzix die (Damask), I set it aside to work on the card base.  The card base was die cut using the largest die from the Tonic Studios die set (Swirling Frame) and was die cut from a Super Adhesive Sheet.

After removing the protective sheet, I adhered the mat and my focal image to the adhesive sheet.  I couldn't decide whether I wanted to use glitter or gilding flakes, so I experimented and used both. 😀  I began by randomly adding the Nuvo Gilding Flakes (Radiant Gold) to certain areas and then I covered the rest of the exposed area with Collegiate Garnet glitter.  When I was removing the excess, the gilding flakes co-mingled with the glitter and I thought they looked pretty good together.  I saved this combo in a separate container and will use it in a future project.  (On a side note, if you decide to do this too, remember that the flakes are much lighter than the glitter so you will need to stir it up before using it to get an even distribution of glitter and gilding flakes.)

The focal point wasn't as prominent as I would like after completing the card base so I created a frame around the elephant using 1/8" Tear-ific Tape.  Once the adhesive was exposed, I covered it with Black Diamond microfine glitter.  This was the extra pop that it needed.

I have to say that the photos don't quite do this card justice.  The dark jewel tones of the Collegiate Garnet glitter and the bright pops of gold from the Gilding Flakes are much more vibrant in person.

Thanks for taking a look today and be sure to leave a comment both here and on my post on the SNS Blog for a chance to go shopping at Sparkle N Sprinkle.  No one knows who the Mystery Designer is this month (and it might just be me).  There will be new projects on the SNS Blog every day for your inspiration and for increasing your chances of winning.  Good luck!


Products:
Glitter: Collegiate Garnet (G1114); Black Diamond (GM2046)
Embossing Powder: Clear Detail (EP280)
Dies: Tonic Studios (Swirling Frame); Sizzix (Damask)
Nuvo Hybrid Ink Pad (Black Shadow) 
Distress Oxides (Seedless Preserves, Fossilized Amber, Candied Apple)





9 comments:

Eret said...

Stnning card, Anne. Love the background made with Gildig Flakes and Glitter. It looks amazing!

Lori Kobular said...

Love that Paisley Elephant! Your card looks amazing!!

Lisa said...

Wow, Anne, this is so stunning!! I love the colors!! The gilding flakes mixed with the garnet glitter looks so amazing!! What a gorgeous card this is!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Lorna said...

Anne, Your elephant card is really cute. What a fun stamp.

Donna said...

This is stunning, you did an amazing job on the mixed media!

Puppy Kisses and Paper Dreams said...

Great job! I love that you stretched yourself and did this GORGEOUS mixed media! I love the elephant and your background. Beautiful. And your Collegiate Garnet + Radiant Gold Gilding Flakes background is really cool. I might have to try that. This is beautiful.

Shona Erlenborn said...

This really came out great, Anne. Loving the gilding flakes and glitter combination! Good to know that the Hybrid black is available now too!

Penny Crafty Creations said...

love the card and products used to make it thanks for sharing

Ms. Silk said...

Love the beautiful warm color pallete used on this card, as well as, all the textural components.