Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thoughts of Spring

Even though there is a chance of snow and single digit temperatures in our forecast (rare for Alabama), thoughts of warmer weather kept popping in my mind - mainly because I received a new butterfly stamp from Unity Stamps and just had to use it right away.  For the butterfly itself, I made my own glimmer mixture using Distress reinkers, Perfect Pearls, and water.  I took my Dusty Concord  Distress Ink pad and stamped it several times on my craft mat and then spritzed that with the glimmer mixture.  Taking the butterfly stamp, I stamped it into this newly created ink mixture and stamped it onto white cardstock.  It was very watery and runny, and it reminded me of a watercolor impression.  I used my Heat-it gun to heat set it before I cut out the butterfly.  This technique doesn't give you the details of the stamp, just an overall impression.  I cut the frame using two nestabilities from the Labels 5 set and the spring tag from the Ribbon Tag Trio 2 from Spellbinders.   I curled the edges of the butterfly and also pop-dotted it over the frame so that it looks like it is in the air.
For the base of the card, I used glossy paper and alcohol inks to make my own background.  I mixed greens, purples, and metallic to get a background that coordinated with the patterned paper I used behind the butterfly.
Here is a closeup of the butterfly, so you can see the shimmer it gives off.

No comments: