Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Stained Glass Cross


When I saw the new Cross Background die from Die-Versions, I knew I wanted to try and replicate a stained glass window.  I thought about coloring cardstock with my Copic markers and then applying glossy accents to it.  But then, I remembered my YUPO synthetic paper and how vibrant alcohol inks look with it. (You can see my other post using this paper and alcohol inks here.)

I used the Copic marker refills to create the background.  I really wanted the cross to stand out, so I chose a bright yellow (Y35) and a couple shades of blue (B04, B26) for the rest of the background.  I lightly drew pencil marks where the cross would be located and then began applying color using a felt pad.

One of the really cool things about YUPO paper is that when you go over the same area again, it gives you a different pattern.  You can also completely change the way it looks if you don't like the results.  In the close-up photo on the left, you can really see the variegated patterns.


The sentiment is from a stamp set by Sparkle N Sprinkle (Spring Window) and it was heat embossed with Clear embossing powder.   The small cross to the left of the sentiment is actually one of the negative pieces from the new Holy Bible die.  (I'll be sharing my project with this die in a couple weeks.)  I added some Spectrum Noir Sparkle marker to it to really make it shimmer.


If you'd like to receive a 15% discount on your total purchase from Die-Versions (and who doesn't like a discount?), be sure to use the code anne15 at checkout.  The discount is good for the everyday sale prices and you can use it over and over.



5 comments:

Lori Kobular said...

Wow Anne! This is gorgeous! I love the blue background you created and the bright yellow really pops with the background! You did an awesome job with this die!

Linda Simpson said...

Gorgeous and love the sentiment too.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Donna Ellis said...

Beautiful! It really does look like stained glass, Anne! The colors are brilliant! Looks like the sunlight is really shining through the glass! lovely card! hugs, de

Lisa said...

Oh wow, this is absolutely stunning, Anne!! The stained glass look is perfect for this die!! I love how the yellow cross just shines!! This is amazing!! I love, love it!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Lena said...

Gorgeous! I'll have to get some of that paper and give this technique a try!
Hugs,
Lena