Saturday, July 31, 2010

Under the Sea



I used a variety of techniques to create this 6 x 6 card.  The background was made by using Distress inks and the sponged background technique.  Blues for the water and browns for the ocean floor.

Before I sponged my background, I stamped my fish image, made by Impression Obsession, onto watercolor paper and colored him in using Peerless Transparent Water Colors.  These are very vibrant and bright and I loved working with them.  Next, I used an embossing pen and clear embossing powder to emboss the entire image and then heat set it.  This way, you can wipe off the ink that gets onto your colored image. (Next time, I'll use a Versamark clear embossing pen instead of the Zig embossing pens I had.  They left a faint green tint on everything. They could have been old and that's why it did this because the packaging says they were supposed to be clear.)

The little crab in the bottom left corner is from Hambo Stamps that I colored with Copic markers and then cut out.  He is pretty small and you need to have patience to cut around each of his little legs. (My original plan was for him to have a buddy, but I didn't have quite enough patience for that.)  I pop dotted him for added height.  The starfish and shell were embellishments that I have had for a while.  I used Copic markers and a Spica Glitter pen to bring out their details.

This was layered onto a tan piece of Core'dinations cardstock that I sanded down some so it would look more like sand.  It's hard to tell that in the photo, but it looks cool in person.

No comments: