Monday, December 9, 2013
I recently saw the Northern Lights technique on Splitcoast Stampers and knew it would be perfect for the Geraniums rubber stamp set from Sparkle N Sprinkle.
To start out, die cut a Sizzix Labels, Fancy #3 die (next to largest) out of white cardstock. Using Distress Inks (Squeezed Lemonade, Pine Needles, Peacock Feathers, Dusty Concord, Chipped Sapphire, and Black Soot), I used the tutorial as my guide but didn't want to use as much black. I then spritzed some Dylusions Ink Spray (White Linen) to replicate stars.
I then stamped the solid silhouette image with Archival ink in the center. Next, I stamped VersaMark on top of (and slightly off-center) the black silhouette and heat embossed it with Lilac Spark embossing powder.
Next, die cut the largest Sizzix Labels, Fancy #3 and stamp the flourishes from the Flourishes One rubber stamp set with VersaMark. Heat emboss with Black Magic embossing powder. Using VersaMark and a dauber, distress the edges (like you would if you were using ink) and then heat emboss with Black Magic again. Finally, bling your brads with Black Magic embossing powder.
Now I didn't stop with inks and decided to do the same technique using glitters for my background. I started off with a piece of SNS Sticker Paper cut to the size I wanted, and went to town with lots of velvet glitters: Daisy, Lator Gator, Jasper Blue, Cobalt Glaze, Purple Potion, and Black Suede. I randomly applied the glitter the same way as the inks, using my finger to swish my small piles around. Then I distress embossed the edges with Black embossing powder.
I thought it still need a little something. So.... I inked up a Spellbinders Impressabilities plate (Diamonds and Stars) with VersaMark and laid this on top of my glittered background. I covered the VersaMark with Silver Lightning embossing powder and heat set. (I randomly brushed off some of the powder so it wouldn't look too uniform.) Now I was happy with the background.
I found a rub-on in my stash and thought the sentiment fit nicely with night skies and stars. I applied this to a button, which I then stitched two of the buttons together with paper floss, as well as threading the remaining button holes. Finally, I hand stitched the paper floss around the purple mat.
Although this project used quite a number of products, it was quite fun to make and will definitely do it again sometime.